GREENBELT INTERNET ACCESS COOPERATIVE
Monthly Board Meeting
October 11, 2001
Present: Gilbert Lee, Mary Camp, Peggy Bates, Doug Love, Leonie
Members: Ed James, Sharon Natoli, David Wallace
1. Meeting called to order at 7:00 PM.
2. Additional Issues to Agenda:
For the Wish List (item 10): a laptop. Teaching Materials,
3. Agenda Approved (Peggy moved, Doug seconded, unanimous)
4. Secretary Report (Leonie Penney)
- Leonie distributed the minutes of the September 13, 2001 Board
Meeting. They were reviewed and approved (Peggy moved, Doug
seconded, unanimous). Leonie will e-mail the approved minutes
to Neil for posting.
5. Vice President Report (Mary Camp)
CLASSES FOR THIS MONTH
- No class: Mary was brushed by the tornado.
- Monday, October 22, in Community Center's Rehearsal Room:
- Doug: "Introduction to the Internet" (elementary class)
- Mary: will prepare handouts (give Mary material you have
- Friday, November 9
- Mary: Spam, Cookies etc.: popups and a pinch of security
- Wednesday, November 28:
- Mary: How to buy a Computer
- Monday, December 10:
- Doug: What a Computer is made of (assembles own computer)
- The one-month-free-membership is won by the Iliana Restrepo and
David Whiteman account.
6. Treasurer Report (Peggy Bates)
- Peggy had e-mailed to the Board (1) the September Profit and
Loss Statement (2) the January thru October 1 Profit and Loss
Statement and the October 1 Balance Sheet.
- In September we had a $128.50 profit. This is expected to
continue the next two months: we can expect roughly a $200
profit for the next 2 months (we still have the post office
bill to pay). See also item 8 (Fire Proof Cabinet) which can
be purchased from the current assets.
- Peggy has mailed next year's monthly coupons to the users who
have requested coupons.
7. System Administrator Report (Anne Andersen)
Anne was not present, Peggy reported on some System issues:
- BooNet 13 hour outage during October 6/7 weekend. Discussed
with Margaret Zook. Margaret provided emergency telephone
numbers for after-hours (see Peggy’s e-mail of October 10).
These numbers can only be used for Emergency (not individual,
but relating to the whole network). For individual, after-
hours problems e-mail to email@example.com, which is monitored
regularly. During office hours call 301-657-0863 x105.
- Neil has reported several problems with dialing into BooNet.
This hampers him in transferring web pages FTP. The Board
wants to help Neil as much as possible: they are extremely
impressed with the wonderful job he is doing on the Community
Calendar and the webpages. The Board is dealing with this by
heightening BooNet's awareness of existing dial-in
difficulties, and it trying to get information from the users
to be able to compile statistics regarding dial-in
difficulties. This includes problems connecting and problems
- There also is a problem with sending e-mail when connected via
another ISP. This will be solved once WebMail has been
activated (before the end of the year).
- The website pgpjc has been replaced by P.G. Peace and Justice
- Gil is having problems updating GIAC pages when logged in as
- The GIAC mailbox: how much is in it?
- Mary will make an alphabetical listing of all members, showing
their account numbers (link to listing by account number)
- Mary noted that "All Users" (in Mail Room) does not work
- GIAC has 2 new members in September and (so far) 2 new members
- Anne assisted the Arts Center with solving their MAC problems.
Received 4 free tickets. She also started to give FTP lessons
to some members of the News Review Staff
8. President Report (Gilbert Lee)
- The purchase of the previously approved Fire Proof Cabinet was
discussed. Gil received a blank check for its purchase. It will
be placed in Peggy's house. (see also item 6. above)
9. Legal Committee Report (Doug Love and Neil McLeod)
- The committee did not meet during September: no report.
10. Additional Issues:
- Wish list:
- Laptop - Mary will research
- Teaching Materials such as markers, folders etc. For items up
to $50.00 only Gil Lee's approval is required
- Sharon's ideas: New member Sharon Natoli suggested:
- a Round Table Discussion on computer problems: questions and
solutions. Everybody thought this was a great idea: to be
implemented after the Holidays. Peggy suggested a column
(page?) Questions and Answers on a web page:
- a Bulletin Board. Ed James will look into available software
to implement this.
- Peggy told us that PrintScreen will capture the active
window and Ctrl-V will paste it into another application (e.g.
a word processing package). This can be useful when preparing
handouts for classes.
11. The President closed the meeting at some time after 9 p.m.
October 23, 2001