Monthly Board Meeting

October 9, 2003.†† Police Station



Present: Board members: Douglas Love (Chair), , Mary Camp, Neil McLeod, Ed James, Leonie Penney and

Alexander Barnes (came at 7:20 p.m.). Member: Peggy Bates.


1. Call to order at 7:00 PM

2. Additional Issues to Agenda

†† Under 15A..†† Changing Banks††††

3. Approval of Agenda

††† ExpandedAgenda was unanimously approved.


=== Monthly Reports ===


4. Secretary report (Leonie Penney and Douglas Love)

††† a. results of the interim e-mail vote on Doug's question to accept the Spam Committee report

††††††† 4 YES votes (Doug, Leonie, Neil and Mary). No votes were not received from Ed and Alexander.

††††††† ACCEPTED.

††† b. Leoniehanded out the minutes of the September 11, 2003Board Meeting.

††††††† Their review led to a discussion of 5f (processing of "dead memship accounts"). For details see 12B below.

††† The minutes were unanimously approved.


5. Action items from last month::

††† Some items are carried over: see 16 below

††† * Doug and Mary will take care of logistics of next class

††† * Mary's search for new Projector. She need a maximum of $ 2,000. Neil moved, Leonie seconded to approve

†††††† up to $ 2,000 expenditures for Projector. Unanimously approved.

††† * Neil could not attend Legal Committee meeting since the Committee is not yet set up

††† * Ed discussed the progress he made with setting up a WiFi access point at home.

††† * Alexander's getting Bank form(s) needed for second signature: see 15A below: Changing Banks

††† * Everybody: Review Task List: tabled

††† Items which are not carried over and not discussed above have been taken care of.


6. President's report (Doug Love)

††† a. discuss daily monitoring of giac account and phone.

††††††† Doug is not always able to do this daily. Rule: if you cannot do it, find somebody else.

††† b. Identify and (seriously) solicit missing minutes of past meetings.

††††††† First identify who the secretary was.


7. Vice President report (Mary Camp)

†††† a. Classes.

†††††††† In October, Neil will give a class on SPAM, provided a room with a phone line can be organized.

†††††††† Mary will write article for News Review.In November, Mary will give her class on "How to buy a

†††††††† Computer".†††

†††††††† In January, Neil can give a class on "Intruder Software",provided a phone line is present.

†††† b. Audit Committee

†††††††† The Committee will be formed in December, so it can start its work in January


8. Treasurer report (Peggy Bates)

††† a. Financial Report

††††††† Peggy handed out Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Statements for the months January thru September 2003

††††††† The Profit and Loss Statement also showed a Total column. Total Net Income as of September 30, 2003:

††††††† $ 650.27

††††††† The Balance onB.o.A. Checking Account is $ 7,709.43, as of 9/30/03.The costs of the Projector will be paid

††††††† from there. The 9/30/03 Member Equity is $ 4,850. This includes the "dead" membership accounts at $ 50

††††††† apiece.

††††††† The Board will receive an e-mail for approval of the purchase of a bulb (around $ 400)

††††††† Somebody should find in previous Minutes what the minimum amount in our Checking/Savings Account is.

††† b. Membership Report

††††††† 55 connections, 1 E-mail/Webspace only, 1 webspace only,96 members.


9.Webmaster Report (Neil McLeod)

†††† Neil is organizing procedural decisions made during Board Meetings. He goes thru all the Meetings.

†††† Example: new President needs Bank Signature. Put this Procedure on the Procedural side of the Webpage.

10.System Administrator report (Peggy Bates and Doug Love)

††††† a. The past month was a quit month. Ed had some technical contact with Boonet.

††††††††† Boonet wants us to monitor the sizes of mailboxes. If these become too big, Boonet will charge.

††††† b. Advertising for a System Administrator.

††††††††† Doug is working on this. He wants to make sure that the task list of the System Administrator, as posted on

††††††††† the Web, is complete. Then he will write an ad.


11. Legal Committee (Doug Love)

††††† a. Regarding the 501(c)(3)'s efforts: the State charges Property Tax!

††††† b. Doug will change the GIAC Resident Agent with the Maryland Corporation Commission

††††† c. Regarding the Advertising for Legal Committee members: Doug will first send an e-mail to all our members,

††††††††† asking for people with legal training who are interested in the Committee.


12. Old Business

††††† a. Director's Responsibilities.

††††††††† Table this item till item 9 (organizing past procedural decisions) is completed. Approved unanimously

††††† b. Review services:

††††††††† * processing of"dead" membership accounts (we still have their $ 50): Neil gives Peggy a list. Peggy

†††††††††††† will send one more mailing. If still no reply, transfer the $ 50 to the General Fund. In the future:

†††††††††††† when a Service is stopped return the $ 50 immediately, unless specifically otherwise noted.

††††††††† * It may be possible that Comcast shares highspeed access with local co-op. Doug is working on that

†††††††††††† If we cannot do DSL, maybe we should go thru Comcast?

††††††††* Realize that the name "" is valuable††††

††††††††† * Possibility of unbundling services: offering separate services like dial-up, e-mail, webposting etc.

†††††††††††† People could get their own, separate, DSL. Check into Comcast, Boonet.

††††††††† * In the future an ISP Committee??


13. Next Meeting: November 13 at the Police Station



14. Voice Mail Roster:††††† Donít forget to check out !!!

†††††† Oct. 05 - Oct. 11†† Ed James

†††††† Oct. 12 - Oct. 18†† Leonie Penney

†††††† Oct. 19 - Oct. 25†† Neil McLeod

†††††† Oct. 26 - Nov. 1††† Mary Camp

†††††† Nov.2 - Nov. 8††† Doug Love

†††††† Nov.9 - Nov. 15Alexander Barnes


15. Additional Issue: Changing Banks.

†††† This came up when Alexander reported on his difficulties with getting the necessary form(s) from B.o.A. to set

†††† up Doug as the 2nd signatory onour Bank Account.

†††† Discussed was the possibility of switching to the Credit Union. It is easy to get signatory slips from the Credit

†††† Union. But, will they accept our printed deposit slips? Also: they do not return our checks. And: the B.o.A. has

†††† muliple branches.

†††† Peggy and Doug deal most with our Bank. What is their preference? We will make a decision later. In the

†††† meantime, Peggy will get the second signatory from the B.o.A.


16: Action item's from this meeting:

A - Doug†††††††††††††††† Promotional Discount e-mail to all members;,

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Look into possibility of an Intern

††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††Identify who was Secretary on dates of missing Board-meeting Minutes

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Write ad for System Administrator, once Task list for same is complete

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Change the GIAC Registered Agent with the Maryland Corporation Commission

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Send an e-mail to all our members, asking for people with legal training (re Legal Committee)

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Discuss with Comcast person sharing of high-speed access

B - Mary††††††††††††††††† Get Cityís projector,put article in News Review.††

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Get specs for (and buy?) new Projector...

C - Neil††††††††††††††††††† Organize procedural decisions made during Board Meetings

††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††Send Peggy list of "dead" members

D - Ed††††††††††††††††††††† Continue setting up WiFi access point at home.

E - Leonie††††††††††††††† e-mail Minutes to Doug, corrected copy to all;

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Get names of Presidents of Greenbelthome-owners associations.

F - Peggy†††††††††††††††† Send to the Board an e-mail for approval of the purchase of a bulb (around $ 400)

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Send 1 more mailing to "dead" members; if non-responsive, transfer money to General Fund

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Get the second signatory from the B.o.A.

G-??††††††††††††††††††††† Make a list of members who work in Greenbelt (in connection with finding class-space)

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Find in previous Minutes what minimum amount in Checking/Savings account is


17: Tabled Items:

Review Task List

In December: form Audit Committee


15. Meeting Evaluation

* We were Civil,

* We had Fun!!!


15. Closed meeting at9:00pm.


Respectfully submitted,

Leonie Penney, Secretary