Monthly Board Meeting
December 11, 2003. Police Station
Present: Board members: Douglas Love (Chair), Mary Camp, Neil McLeod, Ed James, Alexander Barnes and Leonie Penney. Member: Peggy Bates.
=== PRELIMINARIES ===
1. Call to order at 7:10 PM
2. Additional Issues to Agenda
3. Approval of Agenda
Agenda was unanimously approved.
=== Monthly Reports ===
4. Secretary report (Leonie Penney)
a) Leonie handed out the minutes of the November 13, 2003 Board Meeting.
Correction: we have 97 members..
The amended minutes were unanimously approved, and will be posted.
b) Action item: E-mail minutes to Doug, corrected copy to all.
5. Treasurer’s report (Peggy Bates)
a. Financial Report
Peggy handed out Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Statements with data thru November and estimates for December. The Profit and Loss Statement showed a November net-Profit of $ 86.20 and for the year an estimated Total Net Income of $ 671.16. If we pay the January ISP bill in December and also pay Mary $ 180.00 for 6 classes, then we will not have a profit in 2003. In January we will pay for a bulb ($ 300) and for an extension cord and surge protector (less than $200).
b. Membership Report
No change from last month.
c. Last month’s action items:
* Mail coupons to members:
Sent envelopes with a coupon-book and an individual account statement. Audit duty is on members. If no response
by February 15, statement o.k.
* Send one more mailing to "dead" members. If no response, transfer Funds to General Fund.
Transferred to next month.
* Get the second signatory from the B.o.A.
See under 7 below.
6. Vice President report (Mary Camp)
No classes in December, next class not yet determined (problem of inclement weather)
b. Audit Committee
Mary will put a Committee together. Ed volunteered. Mary will ask Gil to join.
c. Action items from last month
* Assist with Mailing. Done
* Send packet to prospective member. Done
* Buy bulb for projector. To be done in January.
* Send Peggy a list of 2003 classes, instructor’s names and what to do with stipend. Done
7. President's Report
Is in the process of setting up a Procedure Committee, to help running our meetings more efficient. Is also working on a Mission Statement. Has contacted some professional friends to assist him.
Last month’s Action Items:
* Promotional Discount e-mail to all members ) To be done
* Send an e-mail to all our members, asking for people with legal training ) next week
* Legal Committee Report.
Met with Clement Lau, who is looking over what we have and what we will need in order to qualify for
501 (c) 3 (tax exempt status). We need copies of our ads in the News Review. We also need a correct paper
for the Agent Change Form and an appropriate Bank Form. Doug and Peggy will get together on the Bank
Form: Doug will set up an appointment. The form will be scanned to the Board members for approval, then
signed by the Secretary.
* Write News Review ad for System Administrator, once Task List for S.A. is complete.
Situation has not changed.
* Possibility of an Intern
- to do what? Not needed for help putting Agenda together: Ed and Alexander volunteered.
We do need an Archival Secretary and Sysman.
Peggy suggested we go to the Membership first: to find volunteers. Get paid help if technical task is
* Identify who was Secretary on dates of missing Board-meeting Minutes. Done
* High-speed access for GATE and GIAC classes. Not yet done.
New Action Item:
* Discuss Non-Profit Status.
8. System Administrator's report (Peggy Bates and Neil McLeod) (Sysman)
* Mary is not getting cc'c sent to herself, using Endymion. Problem with Engymion.
* Peggy reported on her visit to Boonet. A discussion was held regarding the transition.
No transition will occur without the Board's approval.
* High Speed Access:
-News Review is interested in using City's High Speed Access after hours. The City Manager may have
send a letter regarding this issue to the City.
-GIAC needs High Speed Access for it's classes. Neil will pay for the one-time installation charge.
Neil will send a survey to greenbelt.com users to which extent they are interested in using
High Speed Access.
9. Webmaster's Report (Neil McLeod)
10. Director’s Report (Ed James)
Action Item: Continues setting up WiFi access point at home.
11. Director’s Report (Alexander Barnes)
Action Item: see under 14 b. below
(1) Help Mary with classes
(2) Find in previous Minutes Minimum amount allowed in checking/savings accounts.
Both items skipped.
13. Restate Director's Responsibilities, pending Webmaster's review of past Minutes.
No new Information
14. ISP Committee
a Review Greenbelt Services Offered
See under 8 above (System Administrator's Report and the new possibilities resulting from Boonet's
merger with Del Marva). We also went over our various charges.
b Develop and propose new service package(s)
As part of his ongoing survey of GIAC members, Alexander was told by Alan
Turnbull that he had recently acquired a broadband Internet connection that
included e-mail. He was thinking about ending GIAC service because he
couldn't justify the expense. He did say he loved the "Greenbelt.com"
e-address and was very interested in keeping that if the cost could be
reduced significantly. He e-mailed this to Alexander who forwarded that
e-mail to the Board. After discussion the following motion was made by
Alexander, seconded by Ed and amended by Neil:
We provide e-mail only accounts at the same rate that we charge for extra mailboxes, with
the proviso that this is a temporary rate under review
Approved 5-1, Camp opposed.
c Endymion Professional Edition
See 8 above: Del Marva has an enhanced web-mail program available.
General: at this time it does not seem that an ISP Committee is needed.
15. Additional Issues:
16. Next Meeting: January 8 at the Police Station
17. Voice Mail Roster: Don’t forget to check out GIAC@greenbelt.com !!!
Dec. 14 - Dec. 20 Doug Love
Dec. 21 - Dec. 27 Ed James
Dec. 28 - Jan. 3 Neil McLeod
Jan. 4 - Jan. 10 Leonie Penney
Jan. 11 - Jan. 17 Alexander Barnes
Jan. 18 - Jan. 24 Mary Camp
18: Action item's from this meeting:
A - Doug: * Promotional Discount e-mail to all members
* Send an e-mail to all our members, asking for people with legal training
* Write ad for System Administrator, once Task List for S.A. is complete.
* will get proper form to change the GIAC Resident Agent with the Maryland Corporation
Commission. Discuss with Clement Lau.
* Continue work on Procedure Committee and Mission Statement
* Discuss Non-Profit Status
- Doug and Peggy: will get the correct second signatory from the B.o.A.. Doug will set up an appointment.
Then scan form, send to Board for approval. Have signed by Secretary.
- Doug and Neil: work on high-speed access for GATE and GIAC classes
B - Mary: Will buy a bulb for not more than $ 350.-
Will ask Gil to join the Audit Committee; finish putting Committee together
Will e-mail all Board members a request for help during a class.
Anybody who wants to help, sends reply to everybody, to prevent duplicate help.
Will e-mail all members announcement of next class.
Will buy Mail Washer Pro for laptop.
C - Neil: will look up the depreciation rules for small businesses (expense and/or depreciate?)
will forward to Mary facts re prospective member Scott Legendre
will continue building a Calendar for 2004
will continue Organization of procedural decisions made during Board Meetings
will continue determination from Boonet what tools are available for managing user
will write to Network Solutions re Greenbelt.com domain
will survey greenbelt.com users to which extent they are interested in using High
D - Peggy: Check member responses on accuracy of sent individual account statements.
will send 1 more mailing to “dead” members. If non-responsive, transfer
money to General Fund
will continue discussions with Boonet re unbundling, switch-over, available technical
support and costs.
E - Ed will continue setting up WiFi access point at home
will write up Agenda for January meeting.
F - Leonie E-mail minutes to Doug, corrected copy to all.
G - Alexander continue member priority survey
H - Anybody: *who wants to help Mary in her class will send reply to everybody, to prevent
*find in previous minutes minimum amount allowed in checking/savings account
19: Tabled/Skipped Items:
Action Items involving "Anybody".
20. Meeting Evaluation (Doug Love)
Better than last time
21.Closed meeting at 10:16 pm.
Leonie Penney, Secretary