Monthly Board Meeting
January 8, 2004. Police Station
Present: Board members: Douglas Love (Chair), Mary Camp, Neil McLeod, Ed James, Alexander Barnes and Leonie Penney. Member: Peggy Bates.
=== PRELIMINARIES ===
1. Call to order at 7:07 PM
2. Additional Issues to Agenda
Under item 7 (President, Douglas Love) add:
* Procedure Committee
* Legal Committee
Under item 15 (Additional Issues) enter:
* News Review
3. Approval of Agenda
Agenda was unanimously approved.
=== Monthly Reports ===
4. Secretary report (Leonie Penney)
a) These corrections were made to the December 11 Minutes:
* Date of previous Board Meeting was corrected
* Mary will buy an extension cord and a surge protector for less than $ 200
* Peggy sent member a coupon-book
* All details regarding Peggy's visit to Boonet were deleted and replaced by:
Peggy reported on her visit to Boonet. A discussion was held regarding the transition.
No transition will occur without the Board's approval
* Under Item 18, Action Items - E - Ed, was added:
Write up Agenda for January Meeting.
The amended minutes were unanimously approved, and will be posted.
b) Action item: E-mail minutes to Doug, corrected copy to all.
5. Treasurer’s report (Peggy Bates)
a. Financial Report
Peggy handed out Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Statements with data for each month from January
through December 2003.. The Profit and Loss Statement showed a Net Income Loss for the year of
$ 128.21. Note that this includes $ 180.- Instructors Fees. GIAC owes Mary money for paper and Neil for
mailing expenses, to be paid in January. Regarding the Balance Sheet: note item 350 - Mmeber Donations.
This includes job credits and the logo fund: the money is earmarked.
b. Membership Report
We lost 3 members, have now 94 members
c. Last month’s Action Items:
* With Doug: get the correct second signatory from the B.o.A.
Doug has the form that the B.o.A. wants, at home. It is signed and he will bring it to the Bank.
This brought up a discussion, initiated by Alexander, who should have the right to sign checks for GIAC. The
discussion produced this motion:
The following shall have authority to sign checks for the co-operative: the President,
the Vice President and the Treasurer.
The motion was unanimously approved
Currently the President is Douglas Love, the Vice President is Mary Camp and the Treasurer is
* Check member responses on accuracy of sent individual account statements
So far nobody has protested yet (deadline February 15).
* Send one more mailing to "dead" members. If no response, transfer Funds to General Fund.
Brought listing of "dead" members up-to-date. Will deal with "dead" members (about 1/3 of membership).
6. Vice President report (Mary Camp)
No classes in January. Next class not yet determined (problem of inclement weather)
Doug will help with the setting up.
b. Last month's Action Items
* Bought bulb.
* Postponed buying Mail Washer Pro till 2004. Will buy it now, and give receipt to Peggy.
* Will buy extension cord and surge-suppressor, and give receipt to Peggy
* Audit Committee: Gil will join Audit Committee, which will meet Tuesday, February 3 (Mary, Ed, Gil).
* Will e-mail all Board members a request for help during a class.
Anybody who wants to help, sends reply to everybody, to prevent duplicate help. (Ed volunteered already)
* Will e-mail all members announcement of next class.
7. President's Report
a. * Legal Committee: will meet February 19
* Procedure Committee: Postpone till next month's meeting
b. Last month’s Action Items:
* Promotional Discount e-mail to all members
Was taken care of by Peggy when she enclosed a discount-book with each member's individual account
* Send an e-mail to all our members, asking for volunteers, including people with legal training
8. System Administrator's report (Peggy Bates and Neil McLeod) (Sysman)
* Peggy did not meet with Boonet during December. Discussions will continue re unbundling, switch-over,
available technical support and costs.
* A problem exists with members using so much disk space for e-mail that the GIAC space limit is exceeded.
A discussion developed over how to handle this. One approach is to charge for over-the-limit disk-space.
* Mary and Ed brought up the problem of being disconnected from the Internet during daytime sessions.
* Peggy and Boonet are looking into an existing FTP problem.
9. Webmaster's Report (Neil McLeod)
* Looked up the depreciation rules for small businesses (expense and/or depreciate?). Found that there is
an opportunity to expense. Peggy remarked that for 2003 all depreciation calculations have already been
implemented. However: consider for future big expense!
* Received requests to post events.
* Finished building the 2004 calendar.
* Keeps working on GIAC website. Finished "Classes".
* Did not check on High Speed Access
10. Director’s Report (Ed James)
* Reported on WiFi progress. Set up a WAP at home.
Question: how to share WiFi with the community?? Lively discussion:
article(s) and/or a column in the News Review, a class/seminar, a discussion group??
Ed will start with writing a letter/article for News Review.
Jim Williamson and Alan Turnbull have WiFi in their homes, a whole court is already linked and "fired up".
Keep working with Dorian on possible New Deal Cafe WiFi setup
Contact local Amateur Radio operator(s)
* Additional Duties: preparing Agenda for next meeting, ad hoc updating of website, help Mary with classes.
11. Director’s Report (Alexander Barnes)
Continue member-priority survey
13. Restate Director's Responsibilities, pending Webmaster's review of past Minutes.
No new Information
14. ISP Committee
Take up next month
15. Additional Issues:
a. News Review
Alexander talked to Mary Lou. They plan to leave Greenbelt.com. Alexander warned her not to
burn their bridges: another ISP may bring even more problems.
16. Next Meeting: February 12 at the Police Station
17. Voice Mail Roster: Don’t forget to check out GIAC@greenbelt.com !!!
Jan. 04 - Jan. 10 Leonie Penney
Jan. 11 - Jan. 17 Alexander Barnes
Jan. 18 - Jan. 24 Mary Camp
Jan. 25 - Jan. 31 Douglas Love
Feb. 01 - Feb. 07 Neil McLeod
Feb. 08 - Feb. 14 Ed James
18: Action item's from this meeting:
A - Doug: * Send an e-mail to all our members, asking for volunteers, including people with legal training
* Write ad for System Administrator, once Task List for S.A. is complete.
* Participate in Legal Committee meeting, February 19
* Continue work on Procedure Committee and Mission Statement
* Discuss Non-Profit Status
* Submit signed signatory form to Bank of America.
- Doug and Neil: work on high-speed access for GATE and GIAC classes
B - Mary: Will buy surge-protector, extension cord, and Mail Washer Pro (for Laptop) - will give Peggy all
Will participate in the Audit Committee meeting, February 3.
Will e-mail all Board members a request for help during a class.
Anybody who wants to help, sends reply to everybody, to prevent duplicate help.
Will e-mail all members announcement of next class.
C - Neil: will continue Organization of procedural decisions made during Board Meetings
will continue determination from Boonet what tools are available for managing user
will write to Network Solutions re Greenbelt.com domain
will survey greenbelt.com users to which extent they are interested in using High
D - Peggy: Continue checking member responses on accuracy of sent individual account statements.
will send 1 more mailing to “dead” members. If non-responsive, transfer money to
will continue discussions with Boonet re unbundling, switch-over, available technical
support and costs.
E - Ed will write WiFi letter/article for the News Review
will write up Agenda for February meeting
will perform ad-hoc updates of Website
Continues contact with Dorian/New Deal Cafe
Contact local Amateur Radio operator(s)
F - Leonie E-mail minutes to Doug, corrected copy to all.
G - Alexander continue member priority survey
H - Anybody: *who wants to help Mary in her class will send reply to everybody, to prevent
*find in previous minutes minimum amount allowed in checking/savings account
19: Tabled/Skipped Items:
* Item 13: Restate Director's responsibilities, pending Webmaster's review of past MinutesResponsibilities
* Action Items involving "Anybody"
* ISP committee
20. Meeting Evaluation (Doug Love)
21.Closed meeting at 9:45 pm.
Leonie Penney, Secretary